Sunday, June 04, 2006

WMAP - non-euclidean

There is a project called WMAP carried out by NASA. The results of the project were published in Mar 2006. The results that they have come up with are amazing. They have identified that the universe is flat, in the sense that 2 parallel lines will never meet in our universe.

When I was in high school, my father was studying Masters in mathematics and I used to take some of his books and read. There I found this concept of non-euclidean geometry very fascinating. I used to wonder whether our universe is hyperbolic ! But WMAP has conclusively determined that our universe is flat and euclidean as a whole.

This is a very significant discovery and am surprised that there is very little publicity on this.




No comments:

About Me

I was born in India and am currently in USA working for an Indian software company. I am interested in any analytical stuff ranging from Stock investing to Physics. This blog's contents are my original thoughts/ideas.